The attainable performance goals of TERREPLANE are summarized as "The 20% Metrics".
The 20% Metrics are:
- Less Than 20% of infrastructure costs of the best comparable alternative.
- Less Than 20% of the energy consumption per passenger mile of the best comparable alternative.
- Less Than 20% of the environmental impact of the best comparable alternative.
- Less Than 20% of the greenhouse gas emissions of the best comparable alternative.
- Less Than 20% of the investment until financial sustainability of the best comparable alternative.
- Less Than 20% of the cost to the consumer of the best comparable alternative.
- Less Than 20% of the travel time of the best comparable alternative.
- Less Than 20% of the dollars and jobs leaving the country of the best comparable alternative.
These will be achieved because the TERREPLANE system embraces nature as opposed to working against nature. Key elements of the system that make these possible are: the Land-Based Glider approach, the Guide Way, direct use of Grid Electricity as the power source, and Efficiency.
Land-Based Glider - Conventional land-based vehicles like cars and trucks direct the air impacting the front of the vehicle over the top of the vehicle. In fact, this is critical for race cars to prevent them from becoming airborne. Conventional land-based vehicles are designed to fight the impact momentum of the air that hits the front of the vehicle. TERREPLANE vehicles use that impacting momentum to fly like a glider. The glider aspect is important to eliminate the weight of the engine and fuel from the vehicle and allow the vehicle to fly like a glider WITHOUT HAVING ANY OBVIOUS WINGS?
Guide Way - Since both the TERREPLANE vehicle and Propulsion Carriage fly, they have no vertical or lateral forces on the propulsion line--there is primarily a "pulling" force on the Propulsion Line that advantageously straightens the line making high speed travel possible with inexpensive designs. Unlike highways or railroads, TERREPLANE does not tear into nature's hills and meadows. TERREPLANE does not use roads or railway lines. The figure to the right illustrates how TERREPLANE can be implemented as a series of posts, 4-5 posts per mile, that provide both electrical power transmission and the TERREPLANE guideway. The environmental impact is much less than alternatives.
Click to Enlarge
Grid Electricity - By using grid electricity, there are many good options to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and reliance on foreign petroleum. TERREPLANE can be powered by new generations of safe and inexpensive nuclear power.
Efficiency - Direct us of electricity rather than use of batteries is about 25% more energy efficient than use of batteries. Use linear motors can approach the high efficiency that is used in electric motors and electrical transformers. There is essentially nothing having a greater potential for energy efficiency.